Monday, December 31, 2012

Snowing - A Change of Attitude

wet, heavy snow is falling
on this final day of the year
not sticking yet
temperature just at freezing
will it accumulate?

worry accumulates in my mind
cold, like snow
fear of being trapped
can't get out when it snows
thick ice forms on the hill

fear of slipping, sliding, falling
out of control
my old friend "control"
taps on my shoulder
whispers of jail by snow

another voice is shouting
but we have food
and water and wood to burn
we have things to do
we are safe in our home

let both voices be heard
let me accept this white jail
  comforting fear with understanding
like all things
it will not last


2 comments:

  1. Our area had a blizzard in 1978. 3 feet of snow fell in 24 hours. We couldn't get out of the house due to drifted snow against the doors and could barely see out the windows. I never had a feeling of being trapped. The isolation was welcomed. After a day we were out helping neighbors, but roads were blocked to the world outside our road.

    I'm glad you are hearing both voices...AND that you are in day 5.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I've never been a "poetry" person. But for whatever reason, I enjoy yours. It doesn't read like poetry to me. It reads like an intimate glimpse into an honest heart.

    I hope you find ways to enjoy your time being cocooned, and also comforted by the understanding that it will not last. May it be a mini-vacation time, of calm and quiet and simple joys. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.