Friday, December 10, 2010

Deprivation Points

Before OA, for eons and eons, I either binged or dieted, one or the other. Being a fairly active person and perhaps luckier than the average overeater, I never went over 240 pounds. Each time I got close to that number, a diet mentality clicked in and I'd begin Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins diet or one of the many others I tried.

With each diet, I'd immediately start racking up deprivation points. No cookie? One point! No seconds? One point! No bread? One point! Keeping a huge mental suitcase full of points was no problem at all.

When finally I reached some sort of goal weight, or at least went down a size or two, guess what? I'd start spending the points like crazy, the pounds reapplying themselves to my body in no time at all.

One of the blessings of OA, turning food over to a higher power, knowing it's not me anymore, is this: for the first time in my long weight loss history, I have no suitcase full of deprivation points. I'm not eating cookies, cake, candy and the like, not any at all. But the way I see it is that it's not me making the decisions about what I eat and what I don't eat. It's all in HP's hands. Thus, I don't do anything to earn points. There are no points to be spent later. And that's a good thing!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent!
    At first is seems like torture to some...
    But not having any kind of "treat"
    is really a treat - in it's own way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think about OA now and then, thanks to you and another blogger who is a self-proclaimed food addict and has been part of AA. I read about your abstinence and the success you have had and wonder for myself. But that higher power thing hangs me up. So glad it is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so wonderful that you've found a way that works for you! I still give myself 'success points' (and probably always will), but I tend to spend them on non-food items, notwithstanding the occasional cupcake. Today, I'm treating myself to a new sweatshirt pullover because I had such a stellar-for-me week! Also because I have a $10 coupon. :) I just enjoy these things more if I "win" them. I'm such a nerd...

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound at peace with yourself. That is so wonderful! I hope you are enjoying the holidays in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.