Sunday, April 25, 2010

Food Plan

Thinking about a food plan and abstinence... Tricky... Which foods will go on the abstinence list? For sure my binge foods. They are:
  • Anything chocolate or with chocolate in it
  • cookies
  • cake
  • cheese cake
  • pie
  • almost all pastries (maybe all, I'm not sure about this one yet)
  • licorice
  • candy coated peanuts (Boston beans)
These foods I don't eat at all. One day at a time I abstain from eating them, even a bite, even a taste, no matter what!

Then there are the trigger foods, the ones that often trigger a binge on things in the list above. I'm not so sure about my trigger foods. I need to pay attention to which foods make me want to "cheat" on my abstinence. These are the ones I suspect right now:
  • bread
  • butter
  • salad dressings
  • breakfast cereal
  • sweetener (Splenda)
  • avocados
  • jam, jelly
I'll have to keep my eyes on these items and also pay attention to everything I eat for signs of trigger foods.

Right now, for today anyway, my food plan is to eat three meals, no second helpings and nothing between meals. In addition, I will define a meal as food that will fit on one bowl or one plate. If I'm eating something liquid, it's OK if a bowl sits on a plate. Right now, for today anyway, I will abstain from my binge foods no matter what.

OK, now that I've taken care of food issues for the day... Relax, paint, walk... get away from food and from thinking about food! YES!

1 comment:

  1. This was a particularly interesting post for me because I thing a lot about triggers - both foods and activities. I have discovered the whole notion of avoiding some foods completely is very controversial. I actually wrote a comment on a blog the other day in which the writer had gone on about "deprivation" and why that makes a diet fail. I had to voice my opinion that for me, moderation does not work right now.

    I was not at all offended by your comment on my blog that I should toss the Triscuits:) Part of me knows I should. But the other part of me knows that last year I dieted successfully for months eating them everyday. I wonder what has changed. I am working on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.