Sunday, August 1, 2010

Beauty

I've never thought of myself as beautiful... just not a word I've applied to myself, even during the few times when my weight was in the low normal range for my height.

Except...

Except when dancing! Filled with the music muse, moving and oblivious to self... then I give myself the grace to be beautiful. Not all the time, not every time. But now and then, while dancing, beauty is mine.

I am reminded of this by Carb Tripper's post today about Belly Dancing. Seeing her pictures (here), I am filled with gratitude for dance and for the beautiful women who do it! I even wrote a poem, inspired by her pictures... here it is:

Belly Dancing

Belly dancing
is the creator's gift
to all women

No matter our size
we allow ourselves
to be sexy
and fluid
and full of grace

With music as muse
we suspend
for this time
our self criticism

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful indeed! Believe it or not, that's how I feel (sometimes) when I'm working out at the gym. In that moment, I am strong and graceful and sexy. And then I trip or drop something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! You remind me that I find my beauty in artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of myself as beautiful, it's just not a word I've applied to myself. But every single day, Jon tells me I am the most beautiful woman in the world.

    For a long, long time, I laughed at him - I know I have a big nose, small eyes and thin lips - but gradually it dawned on me that I am the most beautiful woman in his world. Wow, how lucky am I that I fell in love with the one man that thinks I am the most beautiful woman in the world.

    I think all of the women in Carb trippers video are beautiful, I'd love to dance like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this poem!
    This is how I feel - exactly!
    Thanks, also, for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried belly dancing last year on my spa vacation. I DID feel more beautiful with the movement. All that rolling and shaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a couple of curvy belly dancers on this summer's round of America's Got Talent. They are really beautiful!

    Glad that dancing does that for you. Happy August1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Poem! Thanks.. I have never tried belly dancing, but that's how I feel when I dance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.