Some thoughts I was having about asking for a sponsor:
- nobody will want to take on an extra task
- I'm doing well with abstinence
- I'm following my food plan
- what I really need is help with the spiritual part of this
- I am and have been agnostic most of my life
- "God" is a word that has many negative connotations for me
- prayer makes me feel uncomfortable
- religions of the world are responsible for much chaos and suffering
- nobody would want to work with me given the above
Because of PJ and Julie, I gathered my courage today and put it out to my group that I needed a sponsor. I "fessed up" about my lack of religious faith and just asked if there was anybody who would consider working with me to please let me know.
After the meeting, J came to me and volunteered! I felt a flood of relief and gratitude. Turns out J hasn't sponsored anybody yet, but has been working the 12 steps for three years. For starters, she agreed to read my blog. She'll get a pretty good idea of where I am in the process from that. I think we'll do well together...
Now the difficulty is knowing when I need to ask for help and feeling OK about asking. One day at a time... One step at a time... I have a sponsor, that's the first step. Time is on my side... lots of time ahead... Thank you, PJ and Julie for helping me get started! And thank you, J, for the blessing and gift of your sponsorship.